8 actions I do to relax and meditate before I go to bed and they all blend together:
Here you go dear friends:
- Sign of the Cross.
- Biofeedback and deep breathing exercises.
- Some stretches.
- I focus on and listen to good spiritual speeches, homilies and preaching.
- Reading the bible and/or good spiritual literature.
- Read my affirmations and may read them out loud
- Write in my gratitude journal.
- (If I do not fall asleep by this time well actually it all depends what I can do at this time but I do a lot every night I take my time. I start getting ready for bed a while before I want to fall asleep) More grateful thoughts and praise to my Lord. Also, If I cannot speak or think well I am quiet and try to think good thoughts (or Just Be) of the Lord and be at peace as best I can. This helps a lot esp. If the day was not the best which does happen often than not. I say having a good attitude will see me through it. God willing right! Right on friends.
- I do the sign of the cross to start the blessings on myself, I bless myself anytime of the day not just at night.
- Pray to God asking Saint Michael the Arch Angel to intercede thru Jesus Christ sacred heart to my God. St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen..
- also some other Different prayers … also at this time my devotional to the rosary (maybe a decade or two or the entire mystery) depends on energy.
- I do slight stretching if I can to relax the body and to have the circulation moving more before the night in bed.
- Concentrate and meditate on a visual relaxation like the beach and the biofeedback response.
- I listen and watch the Mass. Other things I do are listen to good speakers, i.e. Joel Osteen, Dr. Charles Stanley, Father Cedric Pisegna …
- I read the bible and/or meditate on the Word of God, other books that I read are the Imitation of Christ, books authored by Pope Benedict emeritus XVI, FatherCedric Pisegna, Joel and Victoria Osteen, Norman Vincent Peale…
- I speak blessings onto myself evoking the Holy Spirit to the father thru the son my lord Jesus Christ in a positive present moment affirmation. A few examples:
“I speak blessings onto myself evoking the Holy Spirit”
I am a can-do person
God has renewed my mind
My brain and faculties are healed
My relationships have improved
God is my best friend
I have now earned the right for my liver to cleanse and become completely healthy.
I say at least 25 – 30 affirmations ( or even one if that is all can do) that are very positive blessings to myself in the Lord Jesus Christ Name. Amen!!! Always spoken in the present tense in a positive attitude. As best I can…
Something you may want to look into DR. Caroline Leaf is a cognitive neuroscientist with a PhD in Communication Pathology specializing in Neuropsychology. …. And has research to back her information have a look see: http://drleaf.com/blog/toxic-seriousness-as-a-gift-blocker-have-some-fun/ or Dr. Norman Vincent Peale Power of Positive Thinking. https://youtu.be/GM6wU927bR0 http://www.amazon.com/Norman-Vincent-Peale/e/B000APPE7E
- I write in journal entries every night before I go to bed for my Thankfulness to the lord I call this my “gratitude journal”. I write things that he has blessed me with that day and every day. I enter it first by saying Thank you my Lord my God my All for all the blessings that you have given me today and always…Love, creation, my life, faith, joy, hope running water good furniture a nice place to live … some are repetitive but I do have to say since I have started this my attitude has gotten better and my outlook on life also.
- More grateful thoughts and praise to my Lord. Actually, I do this all day when I can. I do not do this only before bed. (If I do not fall asleep by this time) More grateful thoughts and praise to my Lord. Also, If I cannot speak or think well I am quiet and try to think good thoughts (or Just Be) of the Lord and be at peace as best I can. This helps a lot esp. If the day was not the best which does happen too often than not. But, I do feel I have to grateful for the day it could have been worse. I try to find the best and move on. It is ”onward and upward” from here.
Some excerpts I read before bed.
Taken from Imitation of Christ by Thomas A, Kempis
Dear Lord, how absolutely necessary is Your grace for me, not only to begin that which is good, but to persevere with it and to accomplish it. Without You, I can do nothing, but when your grace strengthens me, I can do all things.
Grant, therefore, O Lord, that Your grace always go before me and be ever at my back, keeping me intent upon good works to be done, through Jesus Christ, Your Son and my Lord, Amen.
I read ps 23 almost every night. Maybe recite it every day, also.
The Lord, Shepherd, and Host
A psalm of David
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I lack
In green pastures you let me graze
To safe waters you lead me;
You restore my strength.
You guide me along the right path
For the sake of your name.
Even when I walk through a dark valley,
I fear no harm for you are at my side:
Your rod and staff give me courage.
You set a table before me as my enemies watch:
You anoint my head with oil:
my cup overflows.
Only goodness and love will pursue me
all the days of my life:
I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
One other book that I picked up that I read and will give a few excerpts from is: Breakfast Benedict daily readings by Pope Benedict the 16th
There are several readings I do but will quote from page 60 a light shining in the darkness
“May the light of Christ, which comes to enlighten every human being, shine forth and bring consolation to those who live in the darkness of poverty, injustice, and war; to those who are still denied their legitimate aspirations secure existence, for health, education, stable employment, for fuller participation in civil and political responsibilities, free from oppression and protected from conditions that offend against human dignity.”
“Neither individuals nor nations should be afraid to recognize and welcome him: with Him ”a shining light” brightens the horizon of humanity; in Him”a holy day” dawns that knows no sunset.”
Urbi et orbi message, Christmas 2007
Sounds like a lot but think about it it is relaxing and I look forward to that time instead of watching some crappy sitcom or news channel. The more good reading I bring in, watching, listening too… is great because chronic illness and everyday stuff can be tough. I live it everyday. I may look good but do not feel it. Right? Hey you are single trying to make ends meet… Married and or with child(dren) etc. There is always something so I try not to dwell on it. Find a solution talk to God, friend, counselor, priest, rabbi, minister,… go forward the as best you can.
I encourage you all to take note of what you like to read, meditate and prayer on. Share here if you would like. I would love to hear from you all. Blessings always.
I hope this helps. Looking forward to sharing more my life story with you all. I will probably revise from time to time new stuff or old stuff may come in to play for the good of all. Blessings.
GOD LOVES YOU!!!